Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: A Different Christmas Poem

  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_drgnfly3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2003
    Posts
    262
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    A Different Christmas Poem

    A Different Christmas Poem

    The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light,
    I gazed round the room and I cherished the sight.
    My wife was asleep, her head on my chest,
    My daughter beside me, angelic in rest.
    Outside the snow fell, a blanket of white,
    Transforming the yard to a winter delight.
    The sparkling lights in the tree I believe,
    Completed the magic that was Christmas Eve.
    My eyelids were heavy, my breathing was deep,
    Secure and surrounded by love I would sleep.
    In perfect contentment, or so it would seem,
    So I slumbered, perhaps I started to dream.
    The sound wasn't loud, and it wasn't too near,
    But I opened my eyes when it tickled my ear.
    Perhaps just a cough, I didn't quite know, Then the
    sure sound of footsteps outside in the snow.
    My soul gave a tremble, I struggled to hear,
    And I crept to the door just to see who was near.
    Standing out in the cold and the dark of the night,
    A lone figure stood, his face weary and tight.
    A soldier, I puzzled, some twenty years old,
    Perhaps a Marine, huddled here in the cold.
    Alone in the dark, he looked up and smiled,
    Standing watch over me, and my wife and my child.
    "What are you doing?" I asked without fear,
    "Come in this moment, it's freezing out here!
    Put down your pack, brush the snow from your sleeve,
    You should be at home on a cold Christmas Eve!"
    For barely a moment I saw his eyes shift,
    Away from the cold and the snow blown in drifts..
    To the window that danced with a warm fire's light
    Then he sighed and he said "Its really all right,
    I'm out here by choice. I'm here every night."
    "It's my duty to stand at the front of the line,
    That separates you from the darkest of times.
    No one had to ask or beg or implore me,
    I'm proud to stand here like my fathers before me.
    My Gramps died at 'Pearl on a day in December,"
    Then he sighed, "That's a Christmas 'Gram always remembers."
    My dad stood his watch in the jungles of 'Nam',
    And now it is my turn and so, here I am.
    I've not seen my own son in more than a while,
    But my wife sends me pictures, he's sure got her smile.
    Then he bent and he carefully pulled from his bag,
    The red, white, and blue... an American flag.
    I can live through the cold and the being alone,
    Away from my family, my house and my home.
    I can stand at my post through the rain and the sleet,
    I can sleep in a foxhole with little to eat.
    I can carry the weight of killing another,
    Or lay down my life with my sister and brother..
    Who stand at the front against any and all,
    To ensure for all time that this flag will not fall."
    " So go back inside," he said, "harbor no fright,
    Your family is waiting and I'll be all right."
    "But isn't there something I can do, at the least,
    "Give you money," I asked, "or prepare you a feast?
    It seems all too little for all that you've done,
    For being away from your wife and your son."
    Then his eye welled a tear that held no regret,
    "Just tell us you love us, and never forget.
    To fight for our rights back at home while we're gone,
    To stand your own watch, no matter how long.
    For when we come home, either standing or dead,
    To know you remember we fought and we bled.
    Is payment enough, and with that we will trust,
    That we mattered to you as you mattered to us."

  2. #2
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A Different Christmas Poem

    That makes even the strongest of men cry like a baby. Very poignant and true.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A Different Christmas Poem

    Awesome

    Thanks for sharing
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  4. #4
    Inactive Member ms pemberley's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A Different Christmas Poem

    Very nice. Wish more people would read and appreciate it.
    Looking for my Darcy, but finding only Wickham. Right now, I'd settle for Bingley.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Milk3's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2008
    Posts
    2,212
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A Different Christmas Poem

    Very very touching. Whether you support the wars or not anybody that says one bad thing about any of the troops should be ashamed.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/redskins3.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/6a00d83451ba6469e200e54f0eaffb8833-.gif[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/unc1-1.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    The_Sage
    Guest The_Sage's Avatar

    Re: A Different Christmas Poem

    Very inspirational,,, thanks for posting.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member imported_drgnfly3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2003
    Posts
    262
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A Different Christmas Poem

    Here's another christmas poem that I found.


    Christmas Poem

    TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS,
    HE LIVED ALL ALONE,
    IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF
    PLASTER AND STONE.


    I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY
    WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE,
    AND TO SEE JUST WHO
    IN THIS HOME DID LIVE.


    I LOOKED ALL ABOUT,
    A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE,
    NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS,
    NOT EVEN A TREE.


    NO STOCKING BY MANTLE,
    JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND,
    ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES
    OF FAR DISTANT LANDS.


    WITH MEDALS AND BADGES,
    AWARDS OF ALL KINDS,
    A SOBER THOUGHT
    CAME THROUGH MY MIND.


    FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT,
    IT WAS DARK AND DREARY,
    I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER,
    ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY.


    THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING,
    SILENT, ALONE,
    CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR
    IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME.


    THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE,
    THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER,
    NOT HOW I PICTURED
    A UNITED STATES SOLDIER.


    WAS THIS THE HERO
    OF WHOM I'D JUST READ?
    CURLED UP ON A PONCHO,
    THE FLOOR FOR A BED?

    I REALIZED THE FAMILIES
    THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT,
    OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS
    WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT.


    SOON ROUND THE WORLD,
    THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY,
    AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE
    A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY.


    THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM
    EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR,
    BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS,
    LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE.


    I COULDN'T HELP WONDER
    HOW MANY LAY ALONE,
    ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE
    IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME.


    THE VERY THOUGHT
    BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE,
    I DROPPED TO MY KNEES
    AND STARTED TO CRY.


    THE SOLDIER AWAKENED
    AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE,
    'SANTA DON'T CRY,
    THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE;

    I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM,
    I DON'T ASK FOR MORE,
    MY LIFE IS MY GOD,
    MY COUNTRY, MY CORPS.
    '

    THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER
    AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP,
    I COULDN'T CONTROL IT,
    I CONTINUED TO WEEP.


    I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS,
    SO SILENT AND STILL
    AND WE BOTH SHIVERED
    FROM THE COLD NIGHT'S CHILL.


    I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE
    ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT,
    THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR
    SO WILLING TO FIGHT.


    THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER,
    WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE,
    WHISPERED, 'CARRY ON SANTA,
    IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS SECURE.
    '

    ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH,
    AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT.

    'MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND,
    AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •